Tuesday, June 30, 2015
Thursday, June 25, 2015
|Calcination in progress with mixing chart|
Tuesday, June 23, 2015
Saturday, June 20, 2015
|Patrick and Wild Horses|
|Glassy Acrylic Pours|
|Regular Gel Experiment: Golden (lower left) vs. Utrecht (upper right)|
I did do a couple of experiments. The top one was partially successful. I poured red-tinted soft gel into the heart shape, and it came out clear, bright, smooth and glassy. The pour into the outer ring was not as successful. I think I did not add enough water to the mixture, nor did I add enough color. So I have learned from this exercise.
On the blue plastic plate, I put smears of regular gel, one from Golden and one from Utrecht. I had noticed that the Utrecht gel took a long time to dry, and remained quite tacky even after it became clear. I found a sample jar of Golden Regular Gel, and used it to test the differences. Golden's gel is a bit thicker, and remains opaque in spots, but it is hard not very tacky. The Utrecht gel is still quite tacky and it has clearly not dried completely nor has it hardened.
Saturday, June 13, 2015
Just working on stuff. The small square one has regular gel that is turning clear, but certainly not hardened enough to paint over. The painting of Patrick is moving along a little. The painting of Christina has some quality I like. So far so good!
Friday, June 12, 2015
Thursday, June 11, 2015
|Patrick Painting Sketch|
Wednesday, June 10, 2015
I hope this Clear Tar Gel topcoat will be dry and hardened by tomorrow, when I was hoping to deliver it to the Jung Center for the membership show. If not, I will wait until Friday to deliver the paintings.
Monday, June 08, 2015
|Dotty and Symbolic Edges|
Saturday, June 06, 2015
All three of these paintings are now coated with Clear Tar Gel, which was relatively easy to apply, dries clear, and intensifies the colors underneath. Top painting is on canvas. The other two are on wood panels.
Friday, June 05, 2015
|Gel Coating on Serpent Much Clearer!|
Along with the clearing gel on the serpent, I see that there is not enough contrast between the bird and the black/green background. I will work on that next. Sometimes because the naked eye sees color so well, a lack of contrast is less obvious to us.
So here is a black and white version of the same painting. I need to work on the values.
Thursday, June 04, 2015