Search This Blog

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Seduced by Gel Medium

Soft Gel with Green-Blue Interference

Pneuma I
Left: Last night I smoothed a fairly thick layer of soft gel into my small palette and swirled some interference green-blue fluid acrylic into it. It will give it a delicate coloration. My experiments with clear gel have taught me that it does not show nuances because they are too subtle. I will have to put some paint on my clear gel pieces or put them on top of color to have them show up their textures. This will be part of an Archaeology piece.

Right: On a piece of white HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) I have painted swirls of soft gel mixed with interference blue fluid acrylic. I really can't see the blue at all, at this point. I hope it is not too subtle. These skins will be applied to an underlying layer of blue, to give the appearance of clouds. One meaning of pneuma is air, or breath. 

After that, who knows? The pieces will have to suggest their next steps.

No comments: