Search This Blog

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Awwww ... A Happy/Sad Gift from Betsy


My sister Betsy phoned the other day and asked if I had received anything involving wings from her. I said no, I had not. Then I got a great postcard of a human being flying in the midst of a flock of birds. I assumed that was the wings thingie. BUT NO!

Today I received a truly Betsified package. As always, there was layer upon layer to open, a tiny journey inward to the heart of the gift. First there was a beeswax candle heart, then a package wrapped in violet tissue with spring flowers glued on it. I unwrapped that layer, and there was a beautiful Asian paper wrapping!

I turned that one over, and there was yellow tissue, with more spring flowers attached. A tiny silver cord was peeking out.

I unwrapped that layer to find ... WINGS! Tiny white spangled wings. I hung them up in my kitchen to remind me of Osprey and her flight to freedom from her broken body.
There was one more small package wrapped in golden yellow, under the wings. Inside was a small book titled "Grief Therapy". It is a charming and gentle illustrated (thank God) book about the grieving process. 

They say it is the thought that counts, but the wrapping counts too! A thousand thank yous to Betsy for her Zen gift.



2 comments:

David Bollenberg said...

Awww, that's a lovely gift from an obviously lovely sister x

Justin Esparza said...

Wow. That’s beautiful.