Search This Blog

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Good News, Bad News, Good News , Bad ...


Today I finally looked at the National Park Service Artist-in-Residence page and most of the deadlines are past.

However, the one for Denali National Park (in Alaska) was doable and electronic, so I clicked on the link and ended up at Cafe, an international Call for Entries site. There have been publications in the past that have notified me of juried competitions, artist-in-residence opportunities and so on, but this is now, and it is much faster and easier.

I had images of six paintings to upload. I read all the requirements, uploaded and sent in my application.

Two things came out of it. One, I am now registered at Cafe, which will alert me of opportunities to enter competitions, and also as I read the image prep area of the site, I realized that I could now shoot my own images, and skip the entire slides-to-digital step!

OK now for the bad news. It said they recommended using a 4-5 megapixel digital camera, and not to use a camera that is less than 3.2 megapixels. Well my old digital camera is less than that. It also has a battery compartment door that will not lock closed. The images I had uploaded were done with my iPhone, which is only a hand-held camera, and the lighting on them was not so hot. So I had to buy a new camera.

GOOD NEWS! Like all electronics, they are smaller, easier to use and less expensive than ever. I have a good tripod and floodlights, which I used to use with my Canon all-manual single-lens reflex. I love that camera, but it is terribly heavy to carry. I got a Canon again, and once the battery is charged, I will shoot all my current work myself. This will save weeks in the process of getting pieces ready to ship out! And I can upload good digital images of my work to my website and to the blog. I have been using simple iPhone shots of the work, which means the color is not accurate, I usually cannot get the painting image straight, and the resolution is too low. So all in all, a good change.

1 comment:

Salazar Jack said...

Yay! That is very exciting.