Search This Blog

Monday, June 29, 2009

The Saga of Big Mike Quinlan





History has corrected me. Big Mike does not appear to have been a logger, but ran a sawmill in aptly-named Forest County Wisconsin. The mill, originally located in Menominee, Michigan, was operated by A.C. and James P. Soper, Michael J. Quinlan and Harry E. McGraw.

In the satellite photo you can see Wisconsin Highway 32, which makes a 90-degree turn to the west at Soperton, goes into Wabeno, and continues north from there. To the right is a small highway, County Highway C, and that round black spot is Otter Lake.

According to family legend, Big Mike and his loggers built the log cabins on the lake. McGraws had property on the west side of the lake, and Camp Comfort was built on the south side. Even when I was a child, the old logging road between the cabins was becoming overgrown with white pines, and now I am sure it is obliterated.

Somehow the UP (Upper Peninsula of Michigan), Sault Ste. Marie, and Mackinac Island are involved, as is Muskegon, Michigan. The family must have relocated to Forest County from Muskegon or Menominee.

I will post more as I find out. There are Quinlan family members who have done extensive research on the family tree.

1 comment:

trwtrw said...

Hello, My name is Tom Ward. My wife Frances Fitzgerald is a descendant of Michael Quinlan. I found this blog by googleing Otter Lake and Wabeno. Actually, I was in his cabin, Camp Comfort, last weekend. I have several old photos of the cabin. You can contact me at trwtrw@hotmail.com I hope to hear from you.