Search This Blog

Monday, June 15, 2009

Rental Prius



At Phoenix we rented a Prius, partly to save money on gas and partly for me to see if I liked it, with an eye to buying one for my next car (I ride them till they drop then get a new one). We had three concerns, first, would it be able to perform well in the mountains (it did fine), secondly, would the low clearance be a problem (it was), and finally, would it be roomy enough, as we are both tall (it was a bit cramped, but not terrible).

All in all it was a good car and had fascinating displays of what it was up to under the hood. We averaged over 45 miles per gallon, including the roaring up mountains, which brought the mpg down to about 20 or less temporarily. We both admired the little vehicle, which was royal blue, though you cannot tell the color in this photo.

When we got home, friends told us the new Prius is bigger than the old. Our rental had over 30,000 miles on it, so we assumed it is the old version. That helps the decision making. My Mazda3 is nowhere near ready to be traded in, with only 20,000 miles on it (I usually make them go over 100,000, which for me takes around 9 years).

No comments: