Search This Blog

Friday, April 17, 2009

Iron and Wine



Savanna Leigh posted a video of herself and a friend performing a cover of this lovely song. It is one of my favorite Iron and Wine songs--I have it on my iPod--though I find most of Iron and Wine a little dark in mood. This particular tune expands upon the point that when we commit ourselves to a lifetime of love and/or friendship or giving birth to a child, we are also committing to one having to live through the death of the other.

We do not know who will go first, and it is hard to say which is the more difficult, surviving or dying. Death is a painful ending, and sometimes anticipating that end is disturbing, but a long term relationship is worth the price. It refines both partners, as we come up against one another's needs, idiosyncracies and rough edges.

2 comments:

Savanna Leigh said...

Thanks for the mention! I agree, I think this song is beautiful. The lyrics are so simple, but they contain so much meaning about commitment and life long partnership, but also of the change we face along the way.

Young Geoffrion said...

Lovely! The lyrics "eyes wide open" remind me of the abundant wealth every moment gives us, in light and colour and multiplicity of detail. There is nothing more beautiful than another person you know well enough to love, to observe at close range, and to follow into darkness.