Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

... In the evening, ain't we got fun?



Yes, I have a popcorn jones. The popcorn maker is a
Whirley Pop hand-cranked stove-top popper. It makes fabulous popcorn, and reminds me of my Dad at the same time. He used an old dented pot with a lid and side handles, and just shook the pan from side to side, but he had a gas stove, too. This adaptation works well for me, but for those who really want to go at it old skool, see below. My feast above is the resulting popped corn from using 1/3 cup of kernels.

Dad's Popping Method:

1. put 1 Tablespoon oil (sunflower is great) into good-sized light-weight pan, along with three kernels of popcorn. Cover pan, shake, wait and listen.

2. Once all three kernels pop, put in the rest of the corn kernels (1/2 cup), and shake till the popping slows to two seconds between pops, then remove from heat, salt, and eat. (Butter is optional, must be melted and poured over corn immediately and whole pan shaken to coat all kernels and not just cook a few kernels into weird styrofoam-like shapes.)


The popcorn is from
Fireworks Popcorn, and I buy it by the 15-pound pail, and my favorite variety is High Mountain Midnight. It is a large, fluffy, flavorful popcorn. MMMMMM.

Popcorn Lovers also features a
microwave popper which works well, although not all of the kernels pop in our microwave. The advantage of using your own is that you do not have all that congealed grease in the package, and you choose the amount of salt you put on it.

5 comments:

robyn said...

I too have had a wicked hunger for popcorn. yummmmmmmy stuff. yellow and all curly headed. I dress it in ghee, garlic granules, crushed dried basil, nutritional yeast and salt. It's a meal when I'm done.

Enjah said...

Must stop .... popcorn is prolly keeping me from losing more weight ... love it too much ... must be an attachment ....nooooo, can't stop!

robyn said...

how skinny are you now? I'm a fatty right now. Popcorn sounds delicio~

Anonymous said...

Hello popcorn lovers! For one who has only had popcorn once in almost two years, I am salivating on my keyboard. The only popcorn I had was movie popcorn and honestly not so great.
Popcorn and ice milk make me think of Dad ... and miss him and his idiocyncrasies. What a guy!

robyn said...

christ I hated ice milk. how about neopolitan- I'm sure I didn't spell that right. Ice cream roll, yum. Hot fudge sundeas at Krolls...seaburgers with extra tartar sauce. the crotch.
we have been through so much food- mom's mac'n cheese...old fashions. I must stop this should be the 918 blog.