Search This Blog

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Maybe You Had to Be There ...



A few years ago we went to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina for a short vacation. It was fairly cold. We were in a hotel on the 8th floor.

One evening it was mild and breezy, so we opened the sliding glass doors onto the balcony. We could barely hear the waves but the air was fresh and mild. Peacefully we sat and enjoyed the calm quiet ... until ....

From the patio below us there arose a very loud drunken man's voice, singing karaoke to the song "That's Life" at the top of his lungs, off-key and insistently emphatic, especially on the lines "I've been a puppet, a pauper, a pirate, a poet, a pawn and a king ... I've been up and down and over and out ... And I know one thing: ... Each time I find myself flat on my face,I just pick myself up and get back in the race ... "

We have laughed about that ever since, but of course no one else has that association with the song.

Well, at yoga last week, all the students were lying quietly in savasana (flat on the back on the floor), when a certain drumbeat started, emanating from the bar down the street. I could not help paying attention, as it was that throb of "... a puppet, a pirate ... " etc. I tried my best not to burst out laughing.

Just goes to show you, the atman (the Witness in the heart) has a sense of humor!

No comments: