Search This Blog

Friday, May 16, 2008

Would It Break My Fingers to Wind a Clock?


I had an "Atomic Clock". To set the time, it automatically connected to someplace that had a real atomic clock; it could figure out what time zone I was in, and it ran on a watch battery. It recently decided I am on Pacific Time, and would not be moved back to Central. After months of mentally adding two hours to the visible time, I decided to purchase a replacement alarm clock. At the hardware store, I found this retro beauty. No batteries, no electricity whatsoever ... it winds up and ticks, like clocks used to do. The alarm also requires winding. I realize this is a tiny droplet in the ocean of battery-operated and electronic gear in the world (truth be told, even in our house!), but I feel terribly virtuous.

No comments: