Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

WE CHOSE WATER!!!!!


Thank goodness, my fellow voters and I chose pure water over money ... in my earlier post, I said we had to make hard choices. Much higher taxes, the opposition claimed, would result from the Water Authority purchasing the old golf course. They put up very sophisticated signs all around the neighborhood, making that claim. The incumbents used hand-stenciled signs saying simply, vote for us. The more I thought about it, the more I wondered if the opposition wanted the golf course land for development, and profit.

The old golf course aids us in several ways. It provides drainage, an important commodity in this area of heavy rainfall and increasing population. It provides a green space amongst the houses, with shade and walking paths. It also provides the unseen benefit of recharging the aquifer with water filtered down through the soil. Now it will belong to the Water Authority. Way To Go, Voters!!!! YAY!!!!



3 comments:

Osprey said...

Excellent!

Ragnar said...

It also provides golf balls to hit people as they walk by... :P

I've never been a fan of seeing golf courses. To me, using that much land to play a game is a bit excessive.

However, they may add value to people's houses. So, I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

Enjah said...

I agree, Ragnar, there are far too many of them, being watered and fertilized with nutrient runoff that chokes our waterways with algae and other plantlife to the detriment of the fish and other creatures. So, yes, and this one will no longer be a golf course, and will therefore be less intensely cultivated as a park, it is to be hoped!