Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Name Calling

One of the issues I have fought for a very long time is name-calling, especially adults calling children or adolescents names. This is a very potent method of destroying self-esteem. Equating a human being with a body part, you know the words, or excrement, or describing them as someone who is mentally deficient, damages the person, or at the very least is defamation.

I try very hard not to do this, although I have used these names myself and sometimes TO myself. People who are called names in childhood or adolescence internalize these labels and live them out, especially if the names are repeated frequently.

My two sons and daughter were told they were worthless, in many different ways, and many times, during their childhood.

I think that has a lot to do with their struggle for self-esteem. Steve recovered somewhat from this painful and destructive programming, but not before he acted in self- and other-destructive ways.

Please let us try to refrain from name-calling. There is no good that comes from it, and it can do a lot of damage.

No comments: