Search This Blog

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Wangari Maathai

Wangari Maathai is the founder of the Green Belt Movement, an environmentalist, a civil society and women's rights activist, and a parliamentarian. You can read about her life and her organization through her two books, Unbowed: A Memoir and The Green Belt Movement. You can read condensed versions of her life and achievements, including being awarded the 2004 Nobel Peace Prize, at greenbeltmovement.org. You can also read an interview with Ms. Maathai at Parabola Online, in the article titled Tree of Life.

4 comments:

Poet said...

Oh dearest sister, I love the direction of your last few blogs!
After we spoke on Friday, I went to the River Oaks Theatre and saw "Becoming Jane" -- Jane Austen's own story. I was moved by her story and loved seeing the long ago traditions, fashions, ways of speaking and interacting. I know there's a visualization in this somewhere. Thanks. Poet

Enjah said...

I spoke to Robyn about my feelings after I heard some rotten things about our government and its shenanigans ... and I had to work to get my state of mind back to a positive track. When I did, I started looking for the Suzanne Duranceau illustration I had seen years ago. The trilogy is outstanding ... it has paradise, then the depleted and sad globe we have now, then a globe that is farmed and industrialized, but not depleted or overused.

robyn said...

your posts are wonderfully life giving. I celebrate a vision of our earth renewed and healed. She is our exalted mother.

robyn said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_11th_Hour_(film)

This is a hopeful sign at the last hour.
I'm going to see it.
xoxo our planet
Rob