Search This Blog

Monday, August 27, 2007

I Shoulda Known ...

When I made the decision to get the new computer with Vista OS it was because hp assured me that the computer would be compatible with all my peripherals. What they did not realize was that my peripherals are old, man, like maybe even SEVEN YEARS OLD (gasps of horror from the geeks/nerds/techies in the audience).

The printer had to be replaced because it uses parallel (serial port) cables and the new computer requires USB port cables (nya nya from hp ... "we already have the money, honey").

Now I was crawling around under the desk looking at the cables for the scanner (11'x14" flatbed with slide/negative scanning adapter), and realized I had already hooked it up because it does use USB cable. Well, you would think that meant *YIPPEE* no new scanner to buy, but noooooo! I plugged in the power cord and Windows said put in the disc baby. I had no disc and said so. It searched for drivers then said "Windows Vista does not support this moldy old scanner you idiot, you will have to get a new one and that is gonna cost you."

Well, that is not an exact quote, but that is the subtext.

For a measly $300 I can get a new one, but I did not really plan on spending all this on top of buying the new computer. Yes, yes, I know. I SHOULDA KNOWN.

3 comments:

Osprey said...

:(

On the other hand - ):

Wait... that's the same...

Osprey said...

You can't just get drivers off the manufacturer's website? Drivers off a disk would be old anyway.

Enjah said...

I tried that at the beginning ...