Tuesday, January 16, 2007
The photo has a lot of yellow-green in it, so I chose red-violet, the complementary color, for the ground. First I used fixative on the charcoal drawing, OUTSIDE to save my lungs and the lungs of the dog. Then I mixed Alizarin Crimson and Quinacridone Violet and diluted the mixture to be very transparent (both those pigments are naturally translucent anyway, which helps a lot), and brushed it on willy-nilly. There is a strong highlight on the top middle portion, because it was still wet when I took the photo.
I can still see the drawing clearly and when it is dry (like after I finish this post) I will begin laying in the first layer of underpainting.