Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Hiroshima and Nagasaki




This is a comment I made to a Hiroshima post on AlterNet:

I was born 10 months after Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Therefore I was conceived when the nuclear clouds had dispersed around the globe. I cannot escape ... every year on August 6, and August 9, I feel the tragedy; I imagine that the atomic cloud that moved around the world became part of my body as it formed in my mother's womb ... those people are part of me.

My Generation ... the gap ... in grade school, and again in high school, teachers remarked that we were different, those of us born after WWII. We WERE different. We had no innocence, no somnolent sense of security in the world around us. We were haunted by The Bomb.

People who grew up later, as in 10 years younger than I am, or more, may not dream of the flash, but I do. I awake unsure if a nuclear bomb exploded nearby or not.

I think there is a positive result in certain ways. During my lifetime there has been more and more contact between people of all cultures ... the threat of global extinction from nuclear war (and various other threats that bombard us daily) ties us together in a way that helps us see our commonalities.


1 comment:

robyn said...

well, I must say, this is such a powerful statement. thank you E for being so very cool.